Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Homemade Vogels bread

I can't find a bread that I like over here, so I had a faff about on that awesome font of knowledge; the www (honestly, what did we do before that?) for a good wholesome, easy bread to make myself.
I find the bread here really, really sweet, even when we're buying the ridiculously expensive Whole Foods organic palaver. Also, I like the idea of making bread myself, because when it goes stale after 3 days, I know I'm not eating a whole lot of added who-knows-what.
Anyway, good news. I stumbled upon an Annabel Langbein recipe called 'Busy People's Bread'. It is super-easy to make - i.e. there's no kneading, and just 10 minutes waiting time while you wait for the yeast to froth.
I whacked in a tablespoon of flax seeds as well, just to feel extra virtuous when eating your homemade bread.
And it was awesome - it tastes a lot like Vogels bread, something that when toasted and covered in butter and marmite, is a bit like NZ on a plate.
As an added bonus it also received rave reviews from the sidekick. Happy times all round.


Recipe here

3 comments:

  1. I see you are looking for a vogels-like bread recipe. I have long searched for such a recipe and tried to develop one, all nice breads but just not like vogels. I dont think that Annabel Langbeins comes even close.
    But this last month i have finally cracked it. A slow rise recipe that is just like vogels in texture, nice and chewy, great crust, slices well, toasts great... i am delighted with it and am happy to share it with you. I have posted it on foodlovers forum http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read.php?3,164006,164935#msg-164935 There is a basic recipe with just a few ingredients and another one with extra grains and lots of seeds added. If you try the recipe i would love some feedback. here is a link to photos of my "more like vogels than vogels loaf of bread
    http://www4.snapfish.co.nz/snapfishnz/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3342918018/a=147198566_147198566/
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jacqueline - it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS delicious, Emma. And I don't even make mine in a Dutch oven. It gets cooked in an ordinary bread baking pan. Jacqueline is my hero. When Vogel's first came out it was gorgeous, though only made about twice a week. But today it is already stale when it arrives in store. That was no problem until some idiot decided to get rid of the unsliced loaf (worse decision ever made) because at least with that you could dunk it under the cold water tap and then into a nice hot oven to freshen up.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...